Our city now has several and the Calcasieu Parish Policy Jury has created a video explaining how to use them. Watch Video
A roundabout is a type of circular intersection with yield control of entering traffic and appropriate roadway curvature to reduce vehicle speeds.
IMPROVEMENT IN SAFETY
- More than 90% reduction in fatalities
- 76% reduction in injuries
- 35% reduction in all crashes
- Slower speeds are generally safer for pedestrians
- Efficient during both peak hours and other times
- Typically less delay
COMPLEMENT AND OTHER COMMON COMMUNITY VALUES
- Quieter operation
- Functional and aesthetically pleasing
- Reduce pollution and fuel use
- Fewer stops and hard accelerations, less time idling
TIPS FOR DRIVING A ROUNDABOUT:
• Slow down. Obey traffic signs.
• Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists.
• Yield to both lanes of traffic on your left already in the roundabout.
• Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in traffic.
• Keep your speed low within the roundabout and stay in your lane.
• As you approach your exit, turn on your right turn signal.
• Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists as you exit.
Kelly Lee Insurance
Neighbors helping neighbors manage their risk